Saturday 27 September 2008

MY JOB HUNT - SUMMER OF 2008


Yes, it was total isolation on the job front. Why did I bother to send hundreds of resumes via e-mail and a handful through the Post Office? The e-mails only clogged up cyberspace and keep in mind that there were millions of others like me applying via e-mail as well. According to the instructors at the Job Finding Club only 2% of positions are filled by online applications. So why are there so many “Find Work Websites”?

On the other hand, the resumes I put in the mail did get some attention. From those resumes I was invited to several interviews but, and you may not believe this, I kind of got the impression they didn’t appreciate the letter mail. Who do I think I am not being paperless? I promote the Post Office and use the mail service. I’m looking for a job and maybe this will help create some within the Post Office. Everyone is so environmentally friendly and so anti-consumerism these days that it appears to me this path has been bad for the economy. There have been so many jobs lost and not enough have been created in environmental or IT fields as far as I’m concerned. The platform for job creation for the current election is in manufacturing. Yes, there too, but I'm rooting for the Post Office. Remember their logo ages ago, "Nor rain, nor snow, nor sleet, nor hail will stop us from delivering the mail." That was before those mail boxes at the end of every street corner were invented.

It’s September and back to school and it’s back to work for me. Another temp assignment through an agency is the best I can do. Just in the nik of time since my EI benefits will expire soon. I truly believe that as time passes I just keep falling further and further down the permanent employment ladder and I’ll just never get a permanent job!
`
Then the other day, after several months of waiting, I received my severance pay from my last employer through registered mail. The Ministry of Labour came through! Many thanks to The Ministry of Labour for their help or I would have never seen this cheque. As was stipulated in my past employer’s letter attached to the cheque, “As instructed by the Ministry of Labour, per their letter … … we enclose payment to you as follows … … … “And that’s the end of that. It was all worth it? No. To think they didn’t want to give me what’s rightfully mine according to the Labour Laws without a fight.


No comments: